What is Imagination?

Before I waste my time copying the Wikipedia definition for imagination, I would like to say that it is not a finite term. Imagination is a non-definitive realm. It is not generally regarded as something "real"; it is otherwise unrealistic.

If imagination is somewhat subliminal, then it must derive from the subconscious or unconscious mind. These mental states are supposedly representations of our present reality misfiring within the brain. That means imagination stems from reality, which—in a sense—makes it just as real. If you think it, feel it, taste it, or touch it, isn't it real?

I am interested in these questions because of my vivid subconscious journeys. Let's break down Webster’s definitions one at a time:

  • Imagination: The act or power of forming a mental image of something not present to the senses or never before wholly perceived in reality.

    So, if I see you standing in front of me in a red dress, close my eyes, and picture you in that same red dress, I'm not using my imagination. On the other hand, if I picture you in a blue dress, I'm using my imagination. Now we’re getting somewhere.

  • Imagination: Creative ability.

    Having the ability to picture you in a blue dress isn't enough; I need the ability to create this version of you—to render it in a tangible form like a drawing, painting, photo manipulation, sculpture, or craft. Okay!

  • Imagination: Ability to confront and deal with a problem.

    It seems I need to back up. To get all of this right at once, I need to have a problem with your red dress, picture it blue, and then possess the ability to solve the issue. Well, I don't have a problem with a red dress, so let me find another problem to solve. Wait—I'm solving the problem of defining imagination! Therefore, everything I've written so far, even the dress example, uses my imagination. Great!

  • Imagination: The thinking or active mind.

    Now it seems I'm wasting my time typing, because simply thinking is imagining. That's much easier than changing your attire from a red dress to a blue one and typing a blog post about it.

  • Imagination: A creation of the mind.

    Damn it all! I still have to think of something I created. Where did the blue dress come from? Did it really originate in my imagination, or is it just a combination of the blue awning at the ice cream shop and the red dress you're wearing? If so, those are derived from reality and not created in my mind—meaning I've failed.

    What if you had a four-foot nose that wrapped around your head and arms made of translucent blue Jell-O? Crap! That doesn't quite fit the bill either; it’s still derived from reality.

So I have to ask myself another question: Is imagination just as real as reality?

  • Imagination: Fanciful or empty assumption.

    Yes, I did it again. Victory! I'm making a fanciful assumption that imagination is real.

So, is it real, or isn't it? Some people make real things look pretty, while others choose to create things that are ugly, weird, superficial, or funny. That's creative, but are they using their imagination? Can anyone truly have a one-of-a-kind vision? Personally, I think everything is relative to everything else. Nothing exists entirely on its own. We are inert, yet moving, changing, and dynamic. So let's get out there and use our imaginations—if we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment